|(Image courtesy of xedos4 /FreeDigitalPhotos.net)|
Aggregates for Lightweight concrete
- Volcanic aggregates
- Fly ash
Things to be taken care while making the Foam concrete
- Mixing the required concrete constituents in standard proportionate and introduce foaming agents.
- Water cement ratio should be kept in between 0.5 to 0.6 and more water may be added to increase the workability.
- Perform foam process in concrete using foam generator. In this process, foam agent is diluted with water and then solution is expanded with air into foam.
- Make the concrete slurry, before introducing the foam solution. Ideally, it is recommended to launch the foaming process just before pouring the concrete.
Advantages of using Light weight concrete or foamed concrete
- It helps to reduce the dead weight of concrete, therefore suitable for those structures which are not permissible to take the load of plain concrete. The weight of plain cement concrete is 2400 kg/m3 as compared to lightweight concrete whereas density of concrete can be achieved up to 400 kg/m3 in some special cases.
- Lightweight concrete is preferred for thermal insulation and sound barrier wall as it does have good thermal property due to availability of air voids.
- Useful for the inaccessible locations such as laid sewer lines, tunnels and tanks as it requires minimum compaction and formwork.
- Foamed concrete does have good thermal insulation property therefore useful for roof and floor screeds in high temperature locations.
- It helps to improve the fire rating of concrete surface.