- Wire mesh needs to be fixed for RCC and masonry joints prior to apply plastering the surface.
- Window and door opening plaster edges should not be sharp and slope of window sill bottom plastering projected towards external face of wall to avoid entering water in rain.
- Door and window opening plaster should be well in plumb to avoid gap between frame and surface.
- Curing of plastering work should be carried out for at least 14 days.
- Wall painting work should not be carried out until it gets completely dry.
- Margin for door and window frame equal to plaster thickness should be left out.
- Concealed electrical wiring and connection job should be finished before plastering.
Engineer Wing. Powered by Blogger.
Give your wall perfect plastering finish
In construction, I observed people often complain to contractors about poor quality of work execution. Not to surprise, contractors are only responsible because they could not carry out finishing work properly.
We know, people who hire construction experts to execute their work because they are unable to do so. In most of the cases Home owners have not much knowledge to check the work quality therefore they only can examine building finishing. Also, they cannot understand how to check quality of RCC, PCC or brick wall. Generally, people well thought-out finish of their house or offices should not be ugly and it is only mistake construction people do just not delivering quality plastering work.
Plastering itself an art and require quality execution, any error left during plastering work can ruin your hard work and may leave neighbors to laugh. Things should be taken care during plaster work may help you to prevent micro cracking and uneven plaster surface.
Minimize plaster thickness to prevent cracks
Plastering thickness should be kept least possible just to cover up the rough surface. Minimum thickness of 12 mm and 6 mm are ideal for wall and ceiling respectively. If you required more than 15 mm thickness then plastering work should be applied in two coats.
Greater Plastering thickness causes cracks and tendency to fall down in pieces over period of time.
Simple Fundamental of surface plastering
Plaster is layer of cement-sand mix which acts as damp proof course. It enhances the appearance of building and provides sound and thermal insulation. Ratio of 1:5 cement-sand for exterior surface and 1:3 or 1:4 considered ideal for internal surface.
Surface should be wet before applying plaster and it should be started from top to bottom towards floor.
Get smooth finish for interior and rough for exterior
For great interior painting finish, plastering work should be even and smooth. Internal wall and ceiling plaster smoothness can be achieved by applying neat punning cement after plastering the surface.
Exterior wall plaster should be more or less uneven to prevent rain water penetration. Also, it gives pleasant appearance as smooth surface allow visualizing defects.
Common mistake should avoid during plaster
If you adhere to technical guidelines for plastering work definitely it will enhance wall appearance and offer firm and smooth base to paint your wall.
Join Our Community
Take part in Engineering discussion. Ask question directly to subject experts. CLICK HERE